Sports Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for participants in team and individual sport activities. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a common word for "base on (four) balls," hit by pitch, balk, or anything else that might let a batter get on first base without hitting the ball? The term I liked to use was "walk," but I've been told that is synonymous with "base on balls," and doesn't include the others.

Or does it?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

No. There really isn't a hypernym for it. Generally they are regarded seperately. There are 4 ways to reach base without putting the ball in play.

  • 4 balls (a walk), this can be from 4 pitches out of the zone or a balk resulting in ball 4
  • HBP (when the batter is hit by the ball)
  • Catcher's interference. Not a common result in MLB but relatively common in little league play. If catcher contacts the batter, the batter is awarded first base. (though like a balk, if live play results and the batting team benefits, they can choose to keep the results of the play).
  • A 3rd strike is dropped and the batter makes it to first base safely. (still scored as a strikeout, just without the out, factored as a K in the batters OBP too)

There really isn't a single word that sums all of these up.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.