I was watching a football game and I think I saw something like a web (or you may call it a net, like fish nets) outside of the ball.

It seemed odd, is there a thing like that in football?

  • 2
    Do you mean a small web of some string-like material around the ball itself? It may be just a printed pattern on the ball. A photo of something similar to what you saw would help.
    – Nij
    May 21, 2016 at 20:31
  • It turns out that it is the thing you've just said, a pattern :)
    – salep
    May 21, 2016 at 20:36
  • @salep - If that's it, consider answering the question yourself and accepting it, so it doesn't show up as an unanswered question.
    – Duncan
    May 24, 2016 at 18:01

1 Answer 1


As indicated by comments, the appearance of a net is just that: an appearance.

It is actually part of the printed pattern on the ball. One set of such balls is the Nike Ordem series:

Nike Ordem 3 example

Seen from a distance and in motion, it may well seem that the black lines are a net or strings around the ball. Other ball series from different producers may also have markings which, especially if not regular or symmetric, will give a similar appearance.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.