I've got the idea of all the player positions in Rugby. Is there a position called Three Quarters, if I'm not mistaken?. Some used to mention it by that way, but I've got no idea what it really mean?

Any advice would be appreciated.

  • Could you clarify whether you're interested in union, league or both?
    – Philip Kendall
    Commented Jun 24, 2016 at 21:20
  • Yes I'm interested hear about both.
    – Kulasangar
    Commented Jun 25, 2016 at 13:55

1 Answer 1


"There are four threequarters: two wingers and two centres. Right wing (2), right centre (3), left centre (4) and left wing (5). Typically these players work in pairs, with one winger and one centre occupying each side of the field."


Essentially if you are already familiar with the centre and wing position you also know what threequarters means because it is just a combination of those positions

position 2,3,4,5 in the graphic below


  • 1
    You know you're quoting an article on league there?
    – Niall
    Commented Jun 27, 2016 at 14:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.