As of the end of week 15 of 2016 season, the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants have a chance of facing off in the playoffs. The Giants have dealt the Cowboys their only 2 losses of the season so far. Teams that are in the same division play each other 2 times during the regular season. So to beat a team 3 times, they must also meet in the playoffs. I'm wondering how many times has a team beaten a division rival 3 times in the same season in the NFL?
They always say that it is hard to beat the same team three times in one season. However, it happens periodically. Since 1950, it has happened 17 times:
- 2009 Dallas Cowboys over Philadelphia Eagles
- 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers over Baltimore Ravens
- 2004 St. Louis Rams over Seattle Seahawks
- 2002 Pittsburgh Steelers over Cleveland Browns
- 2000 New York Giants over Philadelphia Eagles
- 1999 Tennessee Titans over Jacksonville Jaguars
- 1997 Green Bay Packers over Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 1997 New England Patriots over Miami Dolphins
- 1994 Pittsburgh Steelers over Cleveland Browns
- 1993 Los Angeles Raiders over Denver Broncos
- 1991 Kansas City Chiefs over Los Angeles Raiders
- 1986 New York Giants over Washington Redskins
- 1982 Miami Dolphins over New York Jets (in a shortened season)
- 1965 Green Bay Packers over Baltimore Colts
- 1964 Buffalo Bills over San Diego Chargers
- 1958 New York Giants over Cleveland Browns
- 1952 Detroit Lions over Los Angeles Rams
protected by user527 Jan 6 '17 at 15:43
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?