I was playing table tennis and met someone who was ranked 250 worldwide by International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF). Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to ask him how he went about doing this.
How does one get ranked by ITTF?
There are also multiple tiers of competition:
In this ITTF news release, the ranking system will be revised, effective January 1, 2018. Changes include:
- The new ranking is based on the final positions reached at the tournaments only (regardless the relative strength of the opponent player).
- Only bonus points are awarded (no rating points are given), which are valid for 12 months, except the World Championships.
- NO loss of points in case of losing a match.
- Ranking Points are fixed according to the point tables using different weightings for different types of events.
- Only the best 8 results are considered on a yearly basis (with one continental event included).
- Separated ranking lists for each age category (Senior, U-21, Junior, Cadet), taking into consideration only results in the respective category.
- Special seeding in case of injury and pregnancy
Recently, ITTF has changed the ranking system. The new ranking system forces player to participate more in the pro-tour, ITTF Open, and more. To be ranked in the new system, the player must participate in more than 8 tournaments, otherwise, their rankings will be lost in the next 12 months. There is another table tennis ranking system which is more accurate.