According to Wikipedia:

In a single round-robin schedule, each participant plays every other participant once. If each participant plays all others twice, this is frequently called a double round-robin. The term is rarely used when all participants play one another more than twice, and is never used when one participant plays others an unequal number of times

Let's say a tournament is held during 10 days and an entire round fits in one week exactly, no more and no less. With round I am referring to an entire cycle where each team plays every other once. The next round cannot be completed because of time constraints so there is only 3 days to organize a partial round where each teams plays a second match against some of the other teams but not all. So this is neither a single round-robin schedule nor a double round-robin one, but something in between. So what do you call it?

And what do you call it when each team plays the other 3 times or more? And more instances of unequal number of teams?

  • I'd call it "something to be avoided because it leads to great arguments when you declare a winner". – Philip Kendall Dec 4 '17 at 16:11
  • I'm not convinced any sport/league has an official name for this, but one candidate for terminology is "unbalanced schedule". Unfortunately this is also used for single round robin with home/away matches, as well as a couple of other asymmetric scheduling patterns. – origimbo Dec 4 '17 at 17:10
  • I'd call it "daft" when you could have used the round robin as seeding for semifinals with a rest day beforehand. – Nij Dec 4 '17 at 17:41
  • Such a system exists in many sports leagues with a finals system (the AFL being a prominent example), but is never associated with any specific terminology. Unfortunately the answer to this question is just "there isn't one". – Sellyme Dec 20 '17 at 0:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.