I am curious to know how many times maximum breaks were scored in a decider frame. I remember one from Ronnie but don't remember the opponent.
Were there any more records like this?
Sports Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for participants in team and individual sport activities. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
This information can be obtained from the maximum break page on Wikipedia. The section "match-winning maximum breaks" lists 18 breaks in total and 5 of them are in deciding frames.
Here are the 147s made in deciding frames:
- Stephen Hendry - 1997 Charity Challenge, Final
- Ronnie O'Sullivan - 2007 UK Championship, Semi-final
- Mark Davis - 2017 Championship League, Group final
- Mark Davis - 2017 Championship League, Winners' Group
- Martin Gould - 2018 Championship League, Group 6
In the Championship League, almost 200 matches are played and each match is won by the best of 5 frames. Therefore it is very probable to see a 147 in a deciding frame.
We should also note that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only player who has such a break in a ranking tournament. On top of that it's a UK semi-final.