What is the record for most consecutive 5 set match wins in the history of tennis in the modern era? Please list the players and the tournament(s) the wins spanned.
There are four players that won four 5-set matches at Grand Slam tournaments, but neither of them in four consecutive matches:
- Albert Costa (2003 French Open)
- Nicolás Lapentti (1999 Australian Open)
- Todd Martin (1994 Wimbledon)
- Steve Denton (1981 Australian Open)
If we count Olympic Games and not only Grand Slams, Goran Ivanišević won four consecutive 5-set matches at 1992 Olympics, before losing in semifinals to Marc Rosset (who went on to win the tournament).
Wins in three consecutive matches that went to five sets
- Colin Dibley in 1979
- Steve Denton in 1981 - Denton won the first three rounds in five-set matches. He won one more 5-set battle in the semifinals, but eventually lost in the final to Johan Kriek.
- Nicolás Lapentti in 1999; he won the first three rounds in five-set matches. Then he won another five-setter in the quarterfinals before losing to Thomas Enqvist in the semifinals.
- Thomas Johansson in 2005
- Dominik Hrbatý in 2006 - he won the first three rounds in five set matches, and then lost to Davydenko again in five sets.
- Rolf Gehring in 1978
- Eliot Teltscher in 1979
- Richard Krajicek in 1993
- Gustavo Kuerten in 1997
- Albert Costa in 2003; He won the first three rounds in five-set matches. Then he won yet another five-setter in quartefinals.
- Gaël Monfils in 2006
- Tommy Robredo in 2013
- Alexander Zverev in 2018
- Juan Pablo Varillas in 2023
- Roscoe Tanner in 1974
- Dan Goldie in 1986
- Stefan Edberg in 1992. He won the tournament after five-set wins in semifinals, quarterfinals and fourth round.
- Wayne Ferreira in 1993
- Robby Ginepri in 2005 - he won five-set matches in third and fourth round and in quarterfinals, before losing to Agassi in semifinals, again in five sets.
- Andre Agassi in 2007
- Marcel Granollers in 2013
- Jan Kodeš in 1974; after three consecutive wins in five-set matches, he lost in quarterfinals to the eventual champion Connors, again in five sets.
- Russell Simpson in 1982
- Alex Rădulescu in 1996
- Jason Stoltenberg in 1998
- Todd Martin in 1994 - with the exception of second round all his wins were in five sets, then he lost in semifinals to Pete Sampras.
- Janko Tipsarević in 2007
- Ernests Gulbis in 2018