Can a corner kick be taken quickly the same way a free-kick can ? That is, so long as the kicker does not require that the 10yds be enforced.
Yes, it is allowed to take the corner kick quickly. The Laws of the Game don't prohibit this:
- The ball must be placed in the corner area nearest to the point where the ball passed over the goal line
- The ball must be stationary and is kicked by a player of the attacking team
- The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves; it does not need to leave the corner area
- The corner flagpost must not be moved
- Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until the ball is in play
It's just very rare to have your players positioned accordingly to actually gain an advantage. Also the referee can enforce the 10 yard rule without anyone complaining (primarily because complaining isn't really a part of the game). So if a player of the other team is too close the kick can still be called off, if the referee doesn't see the advantage in time.
As a sidenote, neither a free-kick nor a corner kick require a whistle by the referee in general. A whistle is mandatory if a yellow/red card was awarded (my team got a goal once disallowed because they executed the free kick without a whistle). However, if the referee enforces the 9.15m rule, the kicker has to wait for the whistle.