Alfredo Di Stéfano back in the 50's-60's played for Argentina, Colombia, and Spain. Many soccer players played for 2 teams, but that's the only case I know of someone playing for 3 teams. Was he the player who played for the most national teams or was there another one? Which soccer player played for the most national teams?
Examples of player who played for three countries.
- As mentioned in the question, Alfredo Di Stéfano played for Argentina and Spain. In addition to that, he played for Columbia - although those matches aren't in the official FIFA records.
- László Kubala played for Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Spain. Kubala also played for Catalonia - however, this team is not a member of FIFA/UEFA.
If we also count caps at the youth level:
- Daniel Brailovsky played for Uruguay at youth level and later represented Argentina and Israel.
- Neil Kilkenny represented England and Ireland at the youth level, and later played for Australia.
- Demitrius Omphroy played for USA and Panama at youth level, as a senior for Phillippines.
- Herolind Shala played for Norway (youth level), Albania and Kosovo.
- Alex Zahavi played for Portugal, USA, Israel - in all three cases at the youth level.
- Wikipedia article FIFA eligibility rules (current revision).
- Wikipedia article List of sportspeople who competed for more than one nation (current revision).
- Wikipedia articles of individual players.
- #FootballTrivia: These footballers played for more than one country