Typically as you move up to more competitive levels of a sport, elements are adjusted to account for the increase of skill/speed/power of better players.
- NBA 3-point line is farther from hoop than NCAA 3-point line
- MLB uses wooden bats while NCAA uses metal bats
- NFL requires 2 feet for completion, NCAA requires 1 foot for completion
Why are NFL hash marks closer together than NCAA hash marks?
- If the difference relates to field goals, I don't understand why the NFL would narrow the marks and make it easier for kickers.
- If the difference relates to location of ball spots, is there a reason the NFL chooses to keep lateral ball spots closer to the center of the field?