Is there a name for a javelin thrower? in baseball we've got pitcher, batter etc.

  • As the answers indicate, there's no accepted specific term, but you may find some sportswriters fond of florid prose who invent colorful phrases like "spear men" and so on.
    – pjmorse
    Feb 9, 2016 at 15:38

2 Answers 2


Like Philip Kendall said, in athletics, a person who throws a javelin is called a "javelin thrower". Collins Dictionary has an entry for "javelin thrower":

(athletics) a person who throws a javelin

There is the word "javelinier" (or "javelineer"), but apparently that is only used for non-athletic purposes. Wikitionary defines "javelinier" as:

A soldier who throws a javelin

There used to be the word "jaculator", which is defined in The Century dictionary and cyclopedia (published in 1906) as "one who throws (a javelin)":

enter image description here

There is even an entry in dictionary.com which has the same definition for "jaculator", but I'm fairly certain that word isn't used nowadays.


I don't believe there is a more specific term than "javelin thrower". Certainly that's what Wikipedia uses to describe eg Jan Železný:

Jan Železný [...] is a Czech javelin thrower


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.