The general classification after Stage 5 in the Tour de France 2017 was
- Christopher Froome (GBR) Team Sky 18:38:59
- Geraint Thomas (GBR) Team Sky +0:00:12
- Fabio Aru (ITA) Astana Pro Team +0:00:14
- Daniel Martin (IRL) Quick-Step Floors +0:00:25
- Richie Porte (AUD) BMC Racing Team +0:00:39
- Simon Yates (GBR) Orica-Scott +0:00:43
- Romain Bardet (FRA) AG2R La Mondiale +0:00:47
- Alberto Contador (ESP) Trek-Segafredo +0:00:52
- Nairo Quintana (COL) Movistar Team +0:00:54
- Rafal Majka (POL) Bora-Hansgrohe +0:01:01
In stage 6 none of these riders finished in the top (nor was the difference between them the same) yet after stage 6 the general classification and the time differences were identical. The only change was in Froome's time, increasing to a total of 23:44:33.
The same occurred after stage 7.
What am I missing here? Why has only the lead rider's time changed, despite several differences developing across the stages?